Download Professional Web Design ebook
فرمت :PDF | حجم : ۲٫۵ مگابایت | صفحات : ۲۴۲ صفحه
We all make mistakes running our websites. However, the nature of those mistakes varies depending on the size of your company. As your organization grows, the mistakes change. This article addresses common mistakes made by large organizations.
Most of the clients I work with are large organizations: universities,large charities, public sector institutions and big companies. Over the last seven years, I have noticed certain recurring misconceptions among these organizations. This article aims to dispel these illusions and encourage people to face the harsh reality.
The problem is that if you are reading this, you are probably already aware of these things. But hopefully this article will be helpful to you as you convince others within your organization. In any case, here are some of the harsh truths about websites of large organizations.
– You Need A Separate Web Division
– Managing Your Website Is A Full-Time Job
– Periodic Redesign Is Not Enough
– Your Website Cannot Appeal To Everyone
– You Are Wasting Money On Social Networking
– Your Website Is Not All About You
– You’re Not Getting Value From Your Web Team
– Design By Committee Brings Death
– A CMS Is Not A Silver Bullet
– You Have Too Much Content
– Portfolio Design Study: Design Patterns
– Introductory Block On Top?
– Where To Put Contact Information?
– Creating A Successful Online Portfolio
– Principles of Effective Portfolio Design
– Define your Criteria and Strategies for Success
– Consider Multiple Portfolios
– Limit The Scope And Type of Work You Promote
– Provide Adequate Contact Information, Documentation
– Present Your Work In The Context of Your Goals
– Infuse Your Personality In The Design
– Promote And Leverage Your Work
– Better User Experience With Storytelling
– The Basics of Storytelling for User Experience
– The Storytelling Experiences Around Us
– Designing User Interfaces For Business Web Applications
– Websites vs Web Applications
– Essential Components Of Web Applications
– Don’t Forget UI Design Patterns
– Case Study: Online Banking Application
– Progressive Enhancement And Standards Do Not Limit Web Design
– Shiny New Technologies vs Outdated Best Practices?
– The Mess That Is The Web
– Creating Celebrities And A Place We
– The Myth Of Innovating Exclusively Through Technology
– Innovation Isn’t About New Toys
– The Corporate Spin On Innovation, And Its Consequences
– The Stockholm Syndrome Of Bad Interfaces
– This Is Not About Technology Or Design
– Where Is The Beauty Of The Web?
– Why Standards Matter, And What “Following Standards”
– Progressive Enhancement Works
– Best Practices Come From Application And Iterative
– Color Theory for Professional Designers
– Is John The Client Dense or Are You Failing Him?
– Explain Why You Are Asking About Money
– How To Identify and Deal With Different Types Of Clients
– How To Respond Effectively To Design Criticism
– Web Designer’s Guide to Professional Networking